- Themba Mkhize, Terence Blanchard billed for Joy Of JazzPosted 3 days ago
- MTV Africa All Stars with Snoop Lion: WIN TICKETS!Posted 17 days ago
- Zahara and Camp Mulla on the MTV Africa All Stars billPosted 17 days ago
- Fally Ipupa & Professor added to MTV Africa All Stars line-upPosted 23 days ago
- YEAHBO celebrating 10 years!Posted 32 days ago
- CTIJF: Chatting with Robert GlasperPosted 50 days ago
- CTIJF: Chatting with Brand New HeaviesPosted 51 days ago
- Snapped at the Hansa Festival Of LegendsPosted 59 days ago
- Road To CT Jazz Fest: Thandiswa MazwaiPosted 61 days ago
- Kelly Khumalo nails Mabrr tribute at Hansa Festival Of LegendsPosted 61 days ago
Malik ready to drop his 4th album
Last week I got invited to an exclusive EPK in studio shoot for Malik‘s upcoming album, Music And Love.
Truthfully, I didn’t know what to expect, but I was very eager to listen to his new music. I arrived at the studio, where Malik and his producer Thasman have been cooking the magic, rather early. My punctuality did not only earn me the chance to listen to the music contained in Music In Love, but Malik played me a song he had recorded the previous night that he told me would most probably not make it into the new album. A sad possibility because it’s such an incredible song; and he loves it dearly himself.
As the other guests started trickling in, I had a pretty sound idea of what he’s been working on for the past two years or so.
During the recording of the EPK, Malik performed, live, three of the songs inside the studio booth. He peformed one of the songs twice, accompanying his vocals by playing his guitar. His voice is strong as ever; his phrasing phenomenal; his pitch in balance; his delivery delicate; and the production of the music top notch.
I just said all that to say, get ready to be blown away, South Africa. The music sounds wholesome and refreshing, with each element cohesively strung into each song.
When I was interviewed by the crew, I mentioned that I didn’t particularly like the approach that Malik took with his third album, Mthulise (title track features Ringo Madlingozi) But judging by what I heard last Thursday, I’m very pleased with the change in his direction on this project.
It was a great afternoon filled with fantastic music, delicious food, amazing conversations about music, and a sporadic game of pool.
I can’t wait for the music lovers to immerse themselves into the gifts and talents of this singer, songwriter, guitarist and producer. Music In Love will be released countrywide on 8 June 2012. Go and cop it, I guarantee you that it’s worth your hard earned money.
Oh, be on the look out for the EPK, that will also feature some commentary by myself. It’ll air on SABC 1, SABC 2, SABC 3, Vuzu, Mzansi Magic, MNET and Etv in the next few weeks.